Statistical & Qualitative Data Analysis Software SPSS and Amos
About IBM SPSS Statistics and IBM SPSS Amos software; links to SPSS tutorials and resources.
About IBM SPSS Statistics
What is SPSS Statistics?
SPSS Statistics is a software program for statistical data analysis. Commands can be executed using the menu system or using command syntax.
Note: SPSS originally stood for "Software Package for Social Sciences". SPSS has also gone by the name PASW Statistics, which stood for "Predictive Analytics Software".
Why use SPSS?
- Intuitive drop-down menu system is easy to learn for beginners
- Syntax adds flexibility, customization, and automation options
- Supported on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux operating systems
- Widely used in the social sciences
What file types are specifically associated with SPSS?
- *.sav - An SPSS data file. Contains the raw data and any associated labels and type definitions.
- *.sps - An SPSS syntax file. Allows you to execute a specific set of commands on a chosen data file.
- *.spv - A 'viewer' file that was created in SPSS version 16 or later. Displays all of the logs and the output created during an SPSS session.
- *.spo - A 'viewer' file that was created in SPSS version 15 or earlier. Displays all of the logs and the output created during an SPSS session.
- *.jnl - A 'journal' file. Records all syntax executed during an SPSS session.
Note: Viewer files with *.spo extensions were created in SPSS Statistics version 15 or earlier. These files can not be opened in SPSS Statistics versions 16 and later.
What version of SPSS Statistics does Statistical Consulting currently use?
As of September 2015, Statistical Consulting uses SPSS Statistics Standard 23 for Windows and and Mac.
About IBM SPSS Amos
What is SPSS Amos?
IBM SPSS Amos is a software program used to fit structural equation models (SEM). Unlike SPSS Statistics, SPSS Amos is only available for the Windows operating system.
Amos is technically "standalone" - it can be used without having SPSS Statistics installed.
What version of SPSS Amos does Statistical Consulting currently use?
As of September 2015, Statistical Consulting uses IBM SPSS Amos version 23 for Windows.
How can I access SPSS Statistics and SPSS Amos?
Public computers on campus
IBM SPSS Statistics Standard is installed on most public computers in University Library, and in many public computer labs on campus.
Faculty and staff
KSU-licensed copies of SPSS Statistics and SPSS Amos can be installed at no charge on university-owned computers. To request an installation, submit a Helpdesk ticket to your local desktop support person.
KSU-licensed copies of SPSS Statistics and SPSS Amos can not be installed on personally-owned computers. Faculty interested in obtaining SPSS Statistics for their personally-owned computers can purchase the SPSS Statistics Faculty Pack from kent.e-academy.com.
KSU-licensed copies of SPSS Statistics and SPSS Amos can not be installed on personally-owned computers. All students at any level can purchase SPSS Statistics for their personally-owned Windows or Macintosh computer from kent.e-academy.com. SPSS Amos can be purchased for personally-owned Windows computers from kent.e-academy.com. Check with your professor or department about what version you should purchase.
All books and ebooks on this list are available through KentLINK.