Statistical Consulting SPSS and Amos
About IBM SPSS Statistics and IBM SPSS Amos software; links to SPSS tutorials and resources.
About IBM SPSS Statistics
What is SPSS?
SPSS is a software program for statistical analysis. Data analysis can be executed using the menu system or using command syntax.
Note: SPSS originally stood for "Software Package for Social Sciences". SPSS has also gone by the name PASW Statistics, which stood for "Predictive Analytics Software". See the official SPSS Software FAQ's on IBM's website.
Why use SPSS?
- Intuitive drop-down menu system is easy to learn for beginners
- Syntax adds flexibility, customization, and automation options
- Supported on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux operating systems
- Widely used in the social sciences
What file types are specifically associated with SPSS?
- *.sav - An SPSS data file. Contains the raw data and any associated labels and type definitions.
- *.sps - An SPSS syntax file. Allows you to execute a specific set of commands on a chosen data file.
- *.spv - A 'viewer' file. Stores all of the logs and the output created during an SPSS session.
- *.jnl - A 'journal' file. Records all syntax executed during an SPSS session.
What version of SPSS Statistics does Statistical Consulting currently use?
As of July 2015, Statistical Consulting uses SPSS Statistics 23 for Windows and and Mac.
About IBM SPSS Amos
What is Amos?
IBM SPSS Amos is a software program used for structural equation modeling (SEM). Unlike SPSS Statistics, SPSS Amos is only available for the Windows operating system.
What version of SPSS Amos does Statistical Consulting currently use?
As of April 2015, Statistical Consulting uses IBM SPSS Amos version 22 for Windows.
How can I access SPSS Statistics?
Public computers on campus:
IBM SPSS Statistics Standard is installed on most public computers in University Library, and in many public computer labs on campus.
Faculty and staff:
- KSU-licensed copies of SPSS Statistics and SPSS Amos can be installed at no charge on university-owned computers. To request an installation, submit a Helpdesk ticket to your local desktop support person.
- KSU-licensed copies of SPSS Statistics and SPSS Amos can not be installed on personally-owned computers. Faculty interested in obtaining SPSS Statistics for their personally-owned computers can purchase the SPSS Statistics Faculty Pack from kent.e-academy.com.
- KSU-licensed copies of SPSS Statistics can not be installed on personally-owned computers. All students at any level can purchase SPSS Statistics for their personally-owned Windows or Macintosh computer from kent.e-academy.com. Check with your professor or department about what version you should purchase.
- KSU-licensed copies of SPSS Amos can not be installed on personally-owned computers. All students at any level can purchase SPSS Amos for their personally-owned Windows computer from kent.e-academy.com. SPSS Amos is not available for Mac.