This guide covers basic steps for using RefWorks at Kent State University
About RefWorks. With RefWorks you can create a personal research management system, and have access to it from anywhere on the Internet. You can store information (references) about books and articles, web resources, etc. Also, you can automate the process of creating bibliographies or citations and references in papers (in Microsoft Word, etc.).
Getting Started at KSU. Just below you see information on starting and getting help. The tabs above connect to other basic steps for using RefWorks.
Connecting off campus. See options below for KSU students, faculty, and staff.
When you leave Kent State. See options below.
After you register, you can click here to login to RefWorks (in a new browser "window" or new "tab").
And then return to this guide for steps to use.
Getting Started - Setting Up Your RefWorks Account
Setting up Your Account
To create your account you must be on campus or using the Kent VPN if you are at an offsite location. (Information on using the VPN is at http://www.kent.edu/academics/library/services/offcampus.cfm). Note: OhioLINK authentication does not provide access to RefWorks from off-campus.
1. Go to http://www.refworks.com/refworks
2. From the Login window, click the Sign up for an Individual Account link.
3. Complete the New User Information box.
4. Click Register.
5. You will receive an email confirmation which will include a Group Code. Keep that information !
Connecting Off Campus (Apt. etc.)
Desktop or Laptop Computer Access - 2 choices
1. If you are off campus using a desktop or laptop computer, then you should use the KSU Cisco VPN.
The KSU Cisco VPN is a service that allows you to connect to the campus network from a remote location as if you were on campus. First you must perform a simple, one-time installation of the VPN client program on the computer you will be using. To find installation and connecting info for Windows and Macintosh computers click here. After that, whenever you need access to a restricted resource (such as a research database like PsycINFO, or a journal article), first start up the VPN program. When the VPN starts you then are prompted to enter your FlashLine ID and password. When you do that, and it connects, you will be connected to the campus network and can access any restricted resource just as you would from on-campus.
2. A second choice is to login also using the Group Code which was sent in the email confirmation you received when setting up your RefWorks account. You can call the Universtiy Libraries Reference Desk if you forget the "code". Call 330-672-3150.
Directions for mobile devices are here.
Options for RefWorks when you leave Kent State
1. As an KSU alumni, you will have complimentary ongoing access to RefWorks as long as KSU maintains its subscription to RefWorks.
2. You can pay for a personal subscription to RefWorks.
3. You can export the data in your RefWorks account using one of several formats. This will make it possible for you to import the data into another application.
Librarian for Anthropology, Jewish Studies, Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, and Religion
Research: Literature review methods
Problems ? Questions ? Comments ?
Do feel free to send me questions, comments or info about problems, etc.