Access to Research Software
How can I have statistical software installed on my computer?
Statistical and qualitative software is available through Information Services.
- Faculty and staff requesting statistical software for their university-owned computers can submit a HelpDesk ticket or contact their department's local desktop support person.
- Students requesting statistical software for their personally-owned computers:
For the most up-to-date information about the availability of statistical software, see the Support Center page on statistical software.
What statistical software packages are available through Kent State University for faculty, staff, and students?
The following table shows what software is available from Information Services for University-owned and personally-owned computers:
|SAS 9.3||Yes (Free)||Yes (Free)||Windows|
|JMP 10||Yes (Free)||Yes (Free)||Windows, Mac|
|NVivo 10||Yes (Free*)||Yes (Free*)||Windows, Mac|
|SPSS Statistics 22||Yes (Free)||No (Can be purchased)||Windows, Mac|
|SPSS Amos 22||Yes (Free)||No (Can be purchased)||Windows|
|Stata 13||No (Can be purchased)||No (Can be purchased)||Windows, Mac|
|Minitab 17||No (Can be purchased)||No (Can be purchased)||Windows|
* A limited number of copies are available. Please contact Information Services if you need NVivo.
Where can I purchase statistical software not available from Information Services?
|SPSS Statistics 22||kent.e-academy.com||kent.e-academy.com|
|SPSS Amos 22||n/a**||kent.e-academy.com|
|Stata 13||Stata Campus GradPlan||Stata Campus GradPlan|
** Can only be purchased in bundle with SPSS Statistics.
How can I purchase Stata for my university-owned or personally-owned computer?
Kent State University currently does not have a site license for Stata. However, Kent State users can purchase Stata/IC, Stata/SE, Stata/MP, or Small Stata at a reduced price through the Stata Campus GradPlan at Stata's website. (For more information about the differences in Stata versions, see "Which Stata is right for me?" at Stata's website.)
Some departments may purchase their own departmental licenses for Stata. Check with your department's IS support person before purchasing.
How can I renew the license for my statistical software?
Because of differences in the license terms, the renewal dates for licenses tend to vary from package to package.
- SAS and JMP licenses must be renewed annually, typically between July and September.
- NVivo licenses are good for 350 days from installation.
- SPSS Statistics and SPSS Amos must be renewed annually, typically between July and September.
Faculty and staff with software installed by Information Services on university-owned computers:
- To request a renewal, submit a helpdesk ticket at support.kent.edu or contact your department's local desktop support person. Be sure to specify that the license has expired, and give the name of the software package.
Students who have had SAS, JMP, or NVivo installed by Information Services:
- SAS: Resubmit the SAS Home Use Request Form.
- Information Services typically hosts several walk-in installation and re-licensing clinics in the library at the start of the fall and spring semesters. Check the library's Events page to find exact dates and times.
- Other software not covered here: Contact Information Services.
If you have purchased your own copy of statistical software:
- If your license has expired, you will need to purchase the software again. Check the terms of the license you purchased. Most licenses are for 6-month or 12-month periods.
If you are using a public computer on campus and receive an error message about a software's license:
- Please notify the lab manager or Information Services.
When I open SPSS, I do not see all of the drop-down menus that should be there OR when I try to enter data in the Data View window, it shows question marks instead.
If one or both of these issues happen when you try to use SPSS, it is likely that your license has expired. If you are using a public computer on campus and this happens, please let the computer lab manager know.